Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bängala!

In twenty days I will be driving toward the Washington Dulles Int'l airport. KLM Royal Dutch Airline will welcome my modest packages and I will climb aboard their aircraft, from which I will take aerial pictures of the capital's lights and then compare them with those of Amsterdam. Then I'll take a brief hiatus from flying to wonder if Entebbe will have light.

Not only does today mark 20-days-pre-departure; I also finished my first USP assignment and am halfway through my vaccinations. My left arm is incredibly sore from a tetanus shot, muting my right arm's Yellow Fever ache. Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Yellow Fever are done, as well as my TB test. Friday is Hepatitis A and Polio. Hallelujah for Malaria and Typhoid pills.

My first assignment was a book much of my family and extended family passed around a few years ago, but I somehow missed. Kingsolver received rave reviews, including the New York Times Bestseller list for The Poisonwood Bible and it was a worthy first assignment. I'll leave you with one such worthy quote:
"I rock back and forth on my chair like a baby, craving so many impossible things: justice, forgiveness, redemption. I crave to stop bearing all the wounds of this place on my own narrow body. But I also want to be a person who stays, who goes on feeling anguish where anguish is due. I want to belong somewhere, damn it. To scrub the hundred years' war off this white skin till there's nothing left and I can walk out among my neighbors wearing raw sinew and bone, like they do" (474).

6 comments:

Stevie K said...

You're gunna die over there!

steelsuzette said...

wow. the poisonwood bible. i can't remember if I read it or not. i think i did... have a great time! most people i've known who've gone to Africa have come back incredibly thankful for the experience. even solitude can be a blessing...

Jesse said...

Hey Kim,

I had a great time in Senegal. African culture is sooo different. Relationally, rather than time-oriented. You won't wanna come back, if you have an experience anything similar to the month I spent in Senegal. I loved it, and hearing how you're going to Africa makes me begin to miss it again.

Enjoy, and I look forward to reading your blog entries!

Jesse

kl said...

i'm looking forward to reading updates on your blog! can't quite believe you're going and am so very excited for you! i have confidence that you will not die :) but that you will come back changed.

mom said...

Dad and I arrived home around 9:00 Friday night, anxiously awaiting news of your safe arrival. We have both been found standing in your bedroom and are missing you much. Picturing you sleeping and safe. Looking forward to your first Blog from Uganda!!

mom said...

We were so surprised to see a blog entry- thrilled is the word! So grateful your luggage arrived with you and that you are so happy. Keep shaking those arms and embrace the moments. Loved the pictures- just seeing your face...loved the details of what you are seeing. We are thinking of you sooo much. Love you...