Sunday, August 26, 2007

Pumpkin spice.

It feels as if we've been here for days, but the wick on my pumpkin spice candle tells it was just lit for the first time. We just got here this morning, less than 10 hours ago, and although my bag is unpacked, guitar is tuned, and mosquito net hung, this is still all new, in an odd, comfy way. This is the time when homesickness could lurk into our quiet moments; when the shadows on the mosquito net suddenly begin to creep rather than cascade. The net still makes me feel like an African princess though, and reminds me that I am in fact in Uganda. The length of my wick still brings pinching excitement that I have four months left of this adventure. It has but begun.

Today we climbed Monkey Hill at the back of campus, after my first meal of rice and beans and sweet potato in the open air dining hall. I saw little old men jumping from branches, only they had long black tails and the gray wisps of hair was actually fur. At the top of Monkey Hill (about a 15 minute hike) we heard men yelling and singing. Atop the hill we heard men's voices yelling incoherent sounds, alongside beautiful songs in Lugandan. One of our cluster felt ill at ease, worried that some sort of unwelcoming ritual hid in the brush. Walking further we saw a lone boy, singing sweetly to the lookout over Mukono. Inquiring we found the story of three friends, who come to the woods just below the peak of Monkey Hill everyday to "train their voices." They yell for up to 7 hours, attempting to acquire the raspy sound of young Ugandan pop music. Each hopes for super-stardom.
"Someday I will make audios, videos, and discs. And then I will also be a superstar."
We stood for a Gospel Reggae concert of two songs from one of the trio, probably about 18 years old. He used a stick as a microphone. We clapped as he smiled sweetly and confidently.

I also took my first shower on campus today. I guess everything I did since 11 am today has been my "first on campus." None-the-less, I took my first shower, and it was cold. I washed one appendage at a time. But again, I'm clean and cozy. Safe and sound. Breathing in pumpkin spice and banana trees.

Pictures:
^Amy and I at our Kampala guest house room, cuddly under a mosquito net. We became roommates on the first night rather randomly and were then assigned to each other here on campus as well. And we were both glad.
^Our room at UCU (on campus), pre-setup. This is what we saw when we unlocked the door.

^From another angle. Now we each have a top bunk, leaving the bottom two open for storage/seat-age. The curtains are hung, as well as our nets. Amy is journaling under hers right now.

4 comments:

mom said...

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful treat to have yet another blog entry to read and even more pictures to stare at. The roommate situation is so amazing that it worked out to be the same...love how God works. Are the beds comfortable?? Again, thanks for all the details- I hear your voice and can't help but smile and be at peace. Love you much, mom

Anonymous said...

Wow Kimmie! What a filled schedule already. Your blogs are like watching a movie; so full of details & compassion. We feel like we're almost there. Love, Hugs & Kisses. Bill & Carol :) :)

Aunt Bonnie said...

Thanks Kim for all the info. You bring peace to our souls. Looks good over there. You seem so happy. God is good and it is neat who he puts together to room with each other. We love you, Aunt Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmie!!
My Mom gave Anna and I you and your sister's email addresses (she got them from your Mom the last time she was in CT)...and I just wanted to say hi!! Your blog on Uganda is AMAZING already, and it's only a few days in!! I get so bored sitting at my desk at work, and reading of your adventures was truly a highlight of my day:):) Stay safe, and I wish you the very best!!
xxoo
Eva Trawczynski