Thursday, July 5, 2007

Preparation.

In order to exist fully somewhere I courageously neglect elsewhere. Freshman year of college I learned, among other things, that it's difficult to exist in multiple places at once (college has proved to be full of such startling epiphanies). I lose nearly all contact with non-utterly-vital people from home while at school and vice versa.

Entering the final stretch pre-departure for Uganda, it feels blatant that this quiet, ironically secluded summer in NYC may be training for the seclusion I'm bound to feel in east Africa. So, I entertain solitude. Working as a camp counselor last summer reared me well to work as a RA. Hopefully my last month on the east side of this continent will prove as fruitful.

4 comments:

mom said...

Love the name of your site "A Broad abroad!" You are creative! Your blog looks great. I would say I can't wait for more but that would mean you were in Uganda already and I am not quite ready for that. Love mom

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your adventures.Sending love hugs & kisses.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,


I just want to let you know that I admire very much your courage. It's 9:39 pm here in NY and I'm thinking of you after I read the blog. You're a truly amazing person and I'm sure your family is very proud of you.

I wish I could have a sister like you. Your brother Steve is lucky to have a sister like you Kim.

This summer I had the opportunity to listen so some of your songs that you composed w. your brother. You have a beautiful voice.

I wish you all the best!
Ana (one of Steve's friends)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,

What an amazing writer you are. I feel as though I am right beside you on your journey, and what a wonderful journey it is.
When I first began college, an English teacher had given the class a way to remember when to use affect as opposed to effect. I tell you this because that helpful hint comes to my mind as I read your blog. It is simply this:

You have to be affected to be effective.

I know you have already begun to be affected, Kimberly, and I am excited to see what the outcome will be.

Love ya honey,

Your Sister in Christ,
Dale