Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Who paved the roads?

Who started the fight between the red dirt and the pavement? Paved the roads, and left the people to watch the land take it back, eating the edges away, slowly ingesting its space back into itself?

We went to the US Embassy today. It was the first place I have been since Amsterdam that had air conditioning, never mind the fully paved and marked roads, manicured gardens, and carpeted floors. In front of the embassy we walked on a clean sidewalk. Yesterday, in Mukono, we maneuvered our sandals over dirt, trash, gravel, and around goats Now, I do enjoy the humor of the animals wandering aimlessly. I particularly enjoy the baby goats, although the chicken that lives on the other girl dorm's porch freaks me out. The juxtaposition is between the landscaping though, and not the animals.

The people at the embassy were very nice, and very willing to tell us all the programs and all the money America is giving Uganda. All the ways America is stopping world terror. But why do Americans need pavement and gardens in a place where civil war has ravished the north for over 20 years? Flower gardens where people lack food? Why do the small farmers need to be organized so they can eventually sell their crops to "large American companies?" Is that really connotative to a localized, community based, society?

I know that I can reflect Adah, a character from The Poisonwood Bible. I harbor bitterness, that is not mine to own, against things I know far from fully. So I pressed my lips together, and now ask my questions to the internet rather than the nice government worker. The dichotomy of US and Uganda pushed me to a contemplative ride back from Kampala though, and suddenly the joy of being here mingled with the reality of the people we passed. Naked children are adorable until you wonder why they are not wearing clothes. Is it because they are just cute, or because they don't have any? The hillside of huts and tin-roofed shacks are exotic until one recalls that that hillside is home to thousands. Cold showers, mosquito nets, and piles upon piles of rice are fine for me. I leave on December 19. I have a lock on my door. I have a Mom who can send me the pajama shirt I left on the continent that my skin keeps reminding me I am from.

I am thankful for all I have been given- resources, opportunities, security. But I hope I can turn my simultaneous guilt into something more useful than bitterness.

12 comments:

mom said...

Again, what a picture you paint for us with your words. Shake those arms Kimi and remember what you are able to offer in the midst of extremes and inconsistencies- sincerity, love, kindness, humility. Be the you God intends you to be, nothing more, nothing less. Deep breath, seek and share joy. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, we love your blogs. We are living 'vicariously' through you. (Allison said I had to use at least one big word she didn't know)Always wanted to go to Africa. I guess you beat me to it. Love you, All of us

Stevie K said...

"Naked children are adorable until you wonder why they are not wearing clothes."

After that, what? Are they sadly adorable? Adorably sad? Bittersweet? A Russel Stover chocolate with a bad inside?

I'm glad that you showed how much the U.S. gives in foreign economic aid alongside its percentage of GDP, otherwise I would have felt I'd bitten into a nasty Russel Stover. The U.S. gives 27% of all foreign economic aid! With everything else the U.S. is attempting (succeeding is something else) isn't that incredible? Judging it according to percentage of GDP and comparing it to other nations, well just look at the other nations - Denmark is rich and small! And their levees aren't breaking.

Steady Acre Farm said...

No no no Stephen, you misread the charts. The inside is nasty. The US holds 27% of the world's GDP (27% of the $ in the world), but contributes the smallest amount of all. That second chart does not have anything to do with contribution, it is just where $ in the world is. The first chart is money donations per GDP, placing the US as the wealthiest nation which donates the least amount.
On top of that nasty fact, the money is donated in odd ways as well. When prodded why $236 million is put into AIDS research here and only $26 million into malaria (of US dollars), the US reps were stretched thin for a response. Malaria easily eclipses AIDS in how many people it kills here AND it is a CURABLE disease. AIDS is more exotic though, and if we were able to cure it we'd be trumpeted even more. Frustrating, eh?

Stevie K said...

Damn I'm bad at reading charts. This happened recently.

But based on a little quick research, the U.S. does give the most foreign aid, $12.9 billion annually. Japan gives $9.2 and then a bunch of EU contries run from $5 to $1 billion. I'd say the U.S. indeed gives about 25% of the world's total foreign economic aid. But I may be misreading the charts.

Ahh. I must side with my current favorite president (God bless him and his solar panels). “We are the stingiest nation of all,” former President Jimmy Carter said recently in an address at Principia College in Elsah, Ill.

Steady Acre Farm said...

Okay Stevie, this is the summary of the charts. I think you got it, but just in case: The US does give the most. But when measured proportionally to what it has, it gives the least.

Aw, good ol' Jimmy. My first crush was on a boy named Jimmy, but even he didn't have a smile comparable to the former president's.

Anonymous said...

This comment may be coming in a bit late but I am a sucker for any references to Jimmy Carter (I've always admired him). I've enjoyed the charts and the comments and couldn't agree with you more.
Lots of love, Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

kiiiim. its so cool to hear your experiences. keep it up.

as the greeks say "siga, siga"...little by little...i don't know...it helped me a lot whenever i worried...keep it in store if ever necessary i suppose :).

Danny Quanstrom said...

|\ /| | | ||
| \__/ | | | ||
| __ | | | ||
| /||\ | | | ||
|/ || \| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| \ /|
|| \_/ | ||

Danny Quanstrom said...

that was supposed to be a creative, time taking symbol that said "Axe You"

Anonymous said...

You went to Amsterdam?!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberly, your writings are enjoyable and intelligent. It's great to hear from you.

A nice and important convo you and Steve had about Foreign Aid. A few comments: Remember much of foreign aid is destined towards military and economic/political security. From 1990 to 2004, humanitarian and development aid was always between 35 to 50% of total foreign aid. Israel and Egypt have been by a wide margint the top recipients of foreign aid for the past decade.

Also, although I have no official stats right now, it seems to me that a good percentage of US development aid goes to large salaries and capital purchases with preference towards US companies. Ie alot goes towards supporting "development professionals", not so much gets to the naked Ugandan children.

Here's where I got some of that info: http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/31987.pdf

Cheers! Nathan