Friday, September 21, 2007

"I bought you a fried fish!"

Last night was full of firefly moments- moments I wanted to catch in a jar and keep because they let off light I'm desperate to hold onto. But if I keep them closed in they'll die. So I'll let them out here, let them fly and breath, and let myself keep moving too.

Fireflies: The moment mom laughed and threw her arms around me when I asked how she met dad. The quiet span of time spent fingers-intertwined with her as we walked back in the dark from buying sugar and bread. Song and prayer every night with mom and dad in the sitting room, when mom closes her eyes and does motions with her hands to "Go tell it on the mountain." Last night dad after the song spoke of how the day has "come to end," and we must be thankful for the moments that will never come again.

After dinner, before song time, I asked dad what his first impression of mom was. He said she "advised" him- he admired and respected her. They have never "quarreled." When one offends the other, they go into the bedroom, say so quietly, apologize, and move on. "We never quarrel." Do you realize how dynamically counter-cultural that is here? Men pay for their brides, a "bride-price." They
are often encouraged to hit their wives- people believe it shows they truly love them. Yet these temporary parents of mine advise one another and discuss their offenses.

There are some moments I am ready to leave behind before they even come though, often occurring at supper time. Two nights ago
Dad got home and pulled out a small black plastic bag, the same size as that in which he carried home a chocolate bar for me on my first day of classes this week. But this time when he handed it to me, I did not feel a cool hard square of milk chocolate. I felt the hot, slimy exterior of a freshly fried whole fish. "I bought you a fried fish!" Mom put it on a plate in the middle of our table and ripped off a side with her hands to place in front of me. Scales and all. Its open mouth gapped in my direction while I ate its side and my sister Flavia sucked on its tail. I woke up the next morning still tasting fish, still burping fish. Last night he came home, yippee!, with four chicken legs. I ate a leg of chicken and my stomach gurgled to sleep angrily. I keep having the slimy mental image of chicken in my hands and my mouth. Oh, but Stevie and Danny will be proud. And it shouldn't take that long for me to adjust back to ingesting animals, right?

9 comments:

Danny Quanstrom said...

I'm proud you ate fish and Chicken... I think its funny that your first substantial meat (the goat doesnt really count) in 2 years was an entire fried fish.

I still can't believe you prefer the pit latrine at night...

mom said...

Oh Kim, the picture of your face. . .I wish I could have seen you conspiring with your facial muscles to appear interested and pleased at the carnivorous gifts from your 'dad.' I love picturing you walking with the 'mom.' They sound wonderful and I had a deep longing in my heart to be walking with you both.

Anonymous said...

I had to reread your latest blog after I realized that you weren't talking about your real parents. (I hadn't read the previous blog yet.) My first picture was that of your mom and you walking back from Logins and then your mom talking about her courtship with your dad...you know how she gets all giggly and red. I can just picture your own dad bringing you treasures that he 'just knows' is going to bring a smile to his little girl's face. Anyway, I love the fact that there's hugging and hand holding and snuggling with the Nyonyis. Are the boys Flavia and Isaac?

kl said...

kimi, i just got caught up on your blog. your pictures are beautiful to read and challenge my heart.
baby craig send a 'hello' press in my tummy to his aunty kim.

Aunt Bonnie said...

Hi Kimi: Thanks for all the details of how the Lord is working in your life. His love is universal. We live vicariously through you :) Thanks for keeping us informed. We played golf with mom and dad Saturday. It was so much fun. We miss you so much. Much love, Aunt Bonnie

Anonymous said...

As expected Kimmie, your family there loved you as much as we & did there best to give you special times(I would have prefered the chocolate as well)God chose a loving family for you & you were your usual gracious loving self. We miss you & enjoy sharing your experiences. Love Bill & Carol :) :)

kl said...

adam and i started a vox site of pregnant kl pics - ackl.vox.com - should you want to keep updated while away :)

Anonymous said...

Kimi, You're a picture of grace as always. Although I personally don't mind eating fish, I prefer the eyes and mouth removed before eating. I love your firefly moments. Wouldn't we all love to hold on to those forever, but your right, we must let go and move on. And although Danny doesn't understand your latrine experience, I can almost see all those stars lighting up that big African sky as you write about it.

Anonymous said...

Kim ...You are very brave with new eating habits...My tummy I'm afraid would of done more then gurgle...
Up-date...something you may not know...I now work with your Aunt Bonnie at the Charter School...she's a blessing and a hoot...On my heart...Cathy