Monday, December 10, 2007

Viruses and Exams

Reflecting on last week brings to mind viruses and exams: viruses rampant in computers, and starting an epidemic in Western Uganda; exams every other day, interspersed with study fests and last hurrahs. I’m halfway through my exams, “papers” in local coinage. If you have any good information on globalization or foreign aid in East Africa since independence, let me know.

This whole ending process is weird. If you figure out how to say goodbye or deal with last-times, fill me in on that too.

Half of our last weekend was spent sitting in, and on the porch of, a “salon.” Girls here “plait” there hair pretty regularly- braid or twist in fake hair to create different styles, lengths, etc. In twelve hours on Saturday I went from short, curly haired Kimberly to long, twisted haired Nassali. And just like it still doesn’t feel real to be here, the surreality of being home will be dizzying. Just like I am constantly thankful for the reminders that home exists and I’m still a part of it- letters from Mom, Yoda drawings from Aidan, and mere thoughts, dreams, of not feeling sick after each meal- my hair will be a temporary, tangible reminder at home that this was not all a dream. Arriving here was a process. Plaiting my hair was a tedious process. My return will be a process too. I shook my arms to attempt feeling this place four months ago. As I adjust back, take out my twists, and put on long sleeves, I’ll hug my mom and shake my arms, not only to warm up in the sudden winter cold, but to attempt to feel home anew.

I think it will feel like Red Rose tea at a kitchen table in Connecticut, bumping knees with mia madre, and receiving a long-missed bear hug from mio padre.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't stop to clock as your time for this journey comes to an end. I was riding in a Taxi this morning, thinking about work, the weather (very cold in Chicago) and everything that need to get done before the holiday. I happened to hear on the radio (I think NPR) the issue of economic trade across Africa with the EU. The statement that hit home to me was the feeling that the EU was still treating Africa as a colony vs. an indepent country. There were additional comments on the need for trade and needed to be fair vs. the idea of charity without adding to a sustained economy. Food for thought as you face your last papers of the semester. PS. Get ready to be cold!!

kl said...

can't wait to hug you, younger! your neice is anxious to have you feel her kicking and shoving :) you are on my mind so very much as you say goodbye ... we love you. love, elder and neice

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, Here is something on foriegn aid that perhaps you could use http://chrisblattman.blogspot.com/2007/12/dear-donors-please-stop-helping-us.html

from a very interesting and informative blog

Anne Paluck

Anonymous said...

Kimi: That was beautiful. Oh, what a gift you are to everyone, especially your mom and dad. Your words bring them joy. We can't wait to see you and hug you and talk with you and experience Africa through you. This week you will be in the beautiful winter wonderland of CT. Just like a Currier and Ives picture. You will love it. Snowballs, snowmen, the pure white snow that reminds us of the cleansing blood of Jesus--who makes our sins white as snow. We love you so much. See you soon:)Uncle Paul and Aunt Bonnie

Anonymous said...

You never say goodbye-just,see you later & only God knows if it's last timers. They will NEVER leave your heart & thoughts as long as you breath so when you close your eyes you will be there with them again. We never forgot any of the ones we embraced and they were on a shorter relationship than yours. Neither do we ever want to forget. We love you Kimmie & look excitedly to your return! Save journey-Love, Hugs & Kisses, Bill & Carol :) :)

Jesse said...

Hey Kim, I hope you're well! It seems as though you've had some worthwhile times that have given you things to think about the rest of your life while in Uganda. I hope your transition home goes as well as it can! Check out your Gordon email - I have an interesting idea I'd like your opinion on.
Best,
Jesse